It’s Monday 15th May 2006 and the Deadline Approaches

We survived! Yes I am back in the valley, still a little tired from “marketing” at Inbaba and Jo is in Lusaka on Airline business but both happy to be back in Zambia and staying put for a while. I arrived on Thursday and by Saturday it was all go on the social front here too with the annual Johnny Ambrose Touch Rugby Tournament.

Playing touch rugbyPlaying touch rugby

Four teams competed for the cup and lots of supporters enjoyed the games from the touchline. Well the onlookers generally enjoyed chatting with the many friends recently returned for the coming season and a mosi or two actually.

cramp relief

Casualties were minimal and kept to a few scrapes and scratches. However, Simon, our workshop manager, did have a bout of cramp on the pitch and had to call on the only female player to grab his feet – these Aussies know how to pull the chicks! However, Sunday saw quite a few stiff legs around Nkwali and probably most other camps in the area.

Miranda gave a lovely speech and then a superb braai and a few drinks followed the sporting spectacle including the traditional filling of the cup with Mosi by Robin.

Robin fills the cup

Saturday also saw the arrival of most of our new caterers – the bevies of beauties arrived together on BA and headed up to the valley and were straight into their training course. I will introduce them to you all once they have had a chance to settle in and we can see who is going to work best at which camp.

On the wildlife front – wild dog are still around and the pack of 10/11 have been seen twice this week which is great. Kellie is hoping to get the vet back this week so they can have a go at collaring a couple of dogs in this pack too.

One extraordinary sighting, which Zebron told me about last night, was a python – about 2.5 metres long and as wide as his forearm – well it started as wide as a coke bottle but grew with the story – snakes must be like fish I guess! Anyway, drag marks were seen on the ground and as they tracked them behind some bushes leopard prints could clearly be seen. It was deduced that the snake had been killed by a leopard, half eaten and left. Later on an afternoon gamedrive the python was found in a tree nearby and therefore assumed that the leopard had returned to protect its kill from other predators.

Camp building is all go now – only one week left before the first guests arrive. Rob was up there last week and took a few shots – I am hoping that things have progressed somewhat since then! Daudi and Rob obviously think that the harder you stare at the cement the quicker it will dry! Watching cement drycamp

As always the builders drive out as the guests drive in and we always get there but it is still amazing how it all comes together so quickly on the last day!

However, even if the camps are not looking their best yet, the views of the full lagoons are truly amazing.

Stay well and have a great week.



Link to more about African Wild Dogs Conservation Project

This entry was posted in 2006, It's Monday. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.