It’s Monday 7th Feb 2005 and the Lioness Lives

It’s Monday 7th Feb 2005 and the Lioness Lives

Kim here this week. I seem to have been ducking in and out rather a lot over recent months. Trade shows in November and December took me away for around a month and now I am back from two weeks leave. This was purely holiday however. I visited Cape Town and the surrounding area and had a wonderful time. Lots of seafood, great wine and of course a bit of shopping thrown in. I have to say, I am not the worlds most enthusiastic shopper and a hour in one of the enormous malls was quite enough and I had to take a break to pop into McDonalds (I know but it has to be done) and go to the movies!!

Whilst it is always lovely to go away, it is even better coming home. Flying in this last time was amazing as the Luangwa River really seemed to be full to the brim seen from the air (although it is actually on just of half full now).

Nkwali has also changed since I left – after Robin’s pondering a couple of weeks back we now have a super new bathroom on the way.

More changes – we are excited to welcome Geno to the team. Keyala took her on a game drive a couple of days ago and this is her report.

“My name is Geno and I have recently joined RPS in reservations. I had my first game drive a few nights ago and was absolutely amazed with the variety of game I saw. Three leopards (yes 3), a lion, zebras, hyenas, elephants, owls, hares, pukus, impalas – just unbelievable!!! Wouldn’t blame you if you thought I was not being truthful, I had to pinch myself to really believe this. Never in my life have I experienced such an astonishing game experience – and I was born and bred in Africa. If this is the supposedly the low season I am just waiting to see what will appear as the year progresses”

Edward Jerry our vertically challenged carpenter (also known as Jerry Can!) …. walking into camp after a night off came across an injured lioness. We reported this to the South Luangwa Conservation Society (the renamed RATS) and Rachel, who runs the organisation, came out to dart the animal. It was a fascinating process, witnessed by Keyala who managed to get a few pictures. The lioness had a snare around its leg which had cut through right down to the bone. Ouch. After cleaning the wound and pumping her with antibiotics they waited for her to come around and then left her in peace. She seems to have recovered well from the anaesthetic and we hope she will recover equally well from the injury. Whilst writing this, Robin came into the office and told us that she was feeding on the teenage elephant and so we popped out to take a look. She is very very thin but at least has a good supply of meat !

Finally, Frankie the lion detector seems to have become a leopard attractor. We have not had lions in camp this week but on at least 4 occasions Adam has returned to his house to find a leopard close by. One evening he was walking back to the house with Frankie and spotted a leopard in the light of his attractive little number – a head torch. The leopard was definitely interested in the dog and did not run off into the bush as expected. Needless to say our fearless workshop manager is now driving right to his front door each time he goes back home.

The start of the school year is always busy in the office as the sponsored children all come we their school reports, acceptance letters, and we pay them for the fees and extras. There are now 49 students and this comes to a total of USD 22,000 per year! Quite a sum so your continued donations are very much appreciated.

Stay well and have a great week.

This entry was posted in 2005, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.