It’s Monday 6th March 2017 and another photographic extravaganza with David Rogers

I do hope that you are fabulously well and sitting comfortably ready for this week’s news. You guessed it, we have had David Rogers back visiting us for another green season photographic safari so I am not going to bore you with my chatter. I am going to pass you straight over to David for an update on his first trip of the Emerald Season, David over to you:

“For the past 12 years my photographic river journeys down the Luangwa River have been the highlight of my year. Not only do I love the valley, the wildlife and the people here, but this time of year which is called the Emerald Season produces such wonderful photographic opportunities. Our first group for the season included my cousin Mark Rogers from Australia his partner Amy Peterson from Dubai and her father Larry from Nebraska. What a privilege to introduce family and friends from such different places to my favourite place in Africa.

The journey began at Nkwali where we spent the first two nights. As usual my close friend Jacob Shawa who has been guiding our river trips for more than 10 years was behind the wheel – and he was as enthusiastic and sharp-eyed as ever.

On our first game drive he found us two leopards. One was hunting near the Nkwali harbour and another was resting under a sausage tree under Lupunga Spur. Our highlight that morning was a buffalo herd of more than 200 animals, which disturbed a male lion resting under a combretum bush.

7946383167d5b99ddfc9af2b05310a10 f6400c0310703f17e5c9b0be96347614







That afternoon we decided to change direction and go south towards the Chichele Hills but we did not make it because a beautiful leopard was resting beside the road under a wild mango tree. We sat with her until sunset when she yawned, stretched and then walked slowly down the branch and down the road. She was mobbed by guinea-fowl but did not seem to be flustered and stopped to drink from a puddle in the road and do some toilet duties, while we snapped away wildly from the vehicle.

The following morning we began our journey up the Luangwa River to Nsefu. After the game drives, it’s so relaxing to be on the water with the beautiful river scenes flashing by. Using our cameras on fast shutter speeds above 1/2000 of a second we were ready for the hippo that rushed to the water and the flocks of birds that rose up from the banks.

For the next two nights we did not see another person. Nsefu at this time of year is cut off by road access and we had this wonderful area to ourselves. On our first morning we set off to the stork colony. The birds were starting to build their nests and we fine-tuned our photographic techniques capturing them in flight as they flew by with nesting material.

acbff1d324dd8bd3f88c1f83d6d5bd5e 84a09f38be144f7347a3ce49cecf8de1






Larry, who is nearly 80 years of age was proud of himself that he had managed to walk to the stork colony at a leisurely pace. “Jacob was like a father to me,” he said afterwards.

While in Nsefu we also enjoyed exploring up the Mwamba River and deep into the ebony forest. Sneaking up on hippos, zebras, impala and baboons offered wonderful photographic opportunities from the water. We also saw two more leopards from the boat.

The food was outstanding and at night we felt cool and slept soundly under the excellent solar powered air conditioning that has been installed at this historical camp which cools the air beneath the mosquito net so effectively.

It was a faster return journey with the current to Luangwa River Camp where we spent our last two nights. The sightings we had here were amazing and it was the first time for Jacob to see two packs of wild dogs meeting. Absolute chaos ensued with leaping and barking dogs while elephants, zebras and impala were running in all directions.


We also had some lively times in the town of Mfuwe where we photographed bicycles, sewing machines, tomatoes and also the people who were so welcoming and friendly to our group. Larry, who comes from the farming area of the United States, purchased some plump red tomatoes and complimented the vendors on the quality of their crops. He also delighted a small boy with his lesson of how to make a chicken go to sleep by putting its head under the wing. We had some ‘Mosi’ beers in a shebeen (local bar) that thumped with happy rasta music.


86074580b70d89b5f0f338b6e28996ee 6adb3b8aea08b9f1c687ca11c6da00ed







It was a life-changing experience for Mark, Amy and Larry. They all vowed to return again to Luangwa. Each one of them took the most amazing and creative photographs to remind them of their stay.

c5e26341884f962f630a5d2b6facda4e0ab8f732cfcc63f844001e0816173306 544119a72cd084d75fc75d78e8829645





And now, for Jacob and myself we are sitting and relaxing ready for our second photographic river journey. Jacob thinks that I need to brush up on my Nyanja language so we are spending the day in school. I look forward to introducing more friends to my special part of Africa and to Jacob.”

Thanks so much David and hope that the day at school wasn’t too exhausting and a few new words and phrases were learnt. It certainly sounds and looks like you had a fabulous week and we really appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

From my side there is very little else that I can actually follow up on from those words so I will be unusually quiet and bid you all a very fond farewell and hope that you all have an absolutely fabulous week with lots of smiles and laughter.





This entry was posted in 2017, It's Monday. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.