It’s Monday 12 November and a safari through all the camps

I hope that everyone has had a fabulous weekend and is prepared for another action filled week ahead. Here in the Luangwa it seems to be non-stop incredible sightings with all sorts of lion kills as well as lions crossing the river in front of camp after spending the night roaring loudly, making sure everyone knew that they were there, on the way to a macabre style buffet. Plus, lions sitting waiting for buffalos that were stuck in the mud to die whilst the vultures all sat in the trees watching and patiently waiting. However, this week we are not talking about the Luangwa we are heading down the Shire River to spend some time at Kuthengo So, I shall pass you on to Jason & Steegan, the managers down at Kuthengo.













“On the last day of what was a fantastic safari in the Liwonde National Park guests were treated to yet another spectacular sighting right in camp! Just goes to show it’s an everyday safari at Kuthengo!

We were heading towards the dining area for brunch on the last morning of the safari with an amazing family, when we stopped in our tracks as someone spotted a harmless spotted bush snake on the floor in the dining area. Not just a bush snake but a bush snake tangled up in a battle of wills against a grey foam nest tree frog!!!

This sent everyone rushing for cameras and phones to capture this rarely seen moment, a spectacle of nature only a few are privileged enough to witness. We were lucky enough to watch the snake swallow the frog by stretching its jaw and body around its prey; a feat that still remains hard to believe. This encounter lasted 20 minutes with everyone in rapture at this amazing spectacle, even the younger members of the group couldn’t bear to take their eyes away for a moment, fearing they would miss something!

What our guide Michael, who was on the scene at the time, believes transpired is that the bush snake on the hunt for just such quarry, had caught the frog. Perhaps due to the frog’s struggle for life with its powerful hind legs, it forced the snake to drop to the floor with the frog in its mouth. Having managed to hold on, it then proceeded to swallow its prey. After the snake had finished swallowing its prey, we then gave it space to make its way back into the bush to find somewhere to lie up and digest

This is what a safari in Liwonde NP is all about, the unexpected, nature and wilderness at its most raw and untouched. Something that is nothing short of a privilege to experience!”

Wow! Seems Michael has been having some interesting encounters, here is more:

“On another beautiful afternoon sitting at Kuthengo in Liwonde National Park having tea, watching over 200 elephants on the western bank, we decided that a walk was the best plan of action for the following morning. My two guests on their honeymoon also agreed.

I proceeded to give them a run-down of what I hoped to achieve for the morning and mentioned things don’t always go according to plan in the bush, as mother nature tends to have her own idea of events. However, it turned out mother nature and I were in complete harmony! After reaching the western bank and running through my safety briefing, I explained we were going to look for bull elephant tracks and see if we could find one to walk up onto and hopefully watch him for a while. We did just that, after an hour of tracking we found ourselves sitting under a bush watching a magnificent bull elephant feeding. Wind in our faces sun at our backs and the bull had no idea we were there, perfect! After about 20 minutes ten more bulls joined the fray, this just increased our already ravenous appetite to stay and observe these charismatic and delightful animals. The first bull who was feeding a little apart from the others then showed us something rarely witnessed by many people, he reached up stood on his hind legs and broke a huge branch off a fever tree which came down with an almighty crack. The rest of the bulls then came on with haste as they knew there was a juicy food source on offer! We sat for over an hour in silence under our little bush and watched the bulls feed and interact with each other. Nature at its finest and a privilege to witness.

When it was time to move, we moved in silence once at a respectable distance. I said we were able to now talk, not that it happened, my guests were speechless and to be honest so was I! We then found a good spot for some tea and coffee and once we had finished and felt replenished, I decided to finish off the mornings adventure with a short boat cruise. This turned out to be one of my many bright ideas (not that there are that many). We ended up finding a herd of over 200 elephants drinking and crossing a small inlet. After some careful maneuvering on the boat as not to disturb them we then sat close by as giant bulls, wise matriarchs, adolescent teenagers and playful youngsters drank, wallowed and threw mud around. At one point one of the big bulls, who’s size and stature was nothing short of awe inspiring then decided to investigate. When he got too close a few stern words helped let him know that he was close enough. After an almighty head toss with dust, mud and water flying everywhere he then turned and ambled after the rest of the group. This whole episode lasted an hour and left us again, speechless!

Click here to watch a short clip of the lovely herd of elephants taken on the boat cruise!

It’s very rare that all a plan comes together in the wilderness but on that occasion that they do it is nothing short of spectacular!”

Thanks, so much Jason, Steegan and Michael what an incredible experience.

On that note really, I am not even going to say anything except bid you all a very fond farewell and have a lovely week with plenty of smiles and laughter and don’t forget to look after each other




























This entry was posted in 2018, It's Monday, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.